The Father

I watched The Father at The Duke of York Theatre and give it a 3/5 rating.



It's a sweet, heartwarming play. An old man losing his sanity to Alzheimer's, confuses his life, refuses the help of a nurse and forgets his own daughter while his daughter and her partner lose their patience, eventually sending him to a home with round the clock care.
Kenneth Cranham with his charm and acting skills steals the show. Deservedly, he won the Olivier for it.
There, that's done.

Now I can say that I didn't like it. The acting was good, the gradual confusion was beautifully done and the sets were nicely setup into a warm living room. But the play was an artist's cry out to be noticed and a rather messy one at that. At one point, I felt like I've had enough and may be I could grab a quick nap.

Comments